In a recent blog posted by Amen clinics call Do you have an Abusive Relationship with Sugar?, the hazards of the Standard American Diet (SAD) was discussed. Studies continue to reveal that diets high in simple carbohydrates like pasta, potatoes, rice, fruit juice and bread have a 400% increase risk of Alzheimer’s disease. Research is pointing to our sugar-laden diet as the cause of Alzheimer’s and many scientist are calling Alzheimer’s “type 3 diabetes.” There are of course other risk factors for Alzheimer’s disease some of which include hypertension, smoking, heart disease, obesity, drug or alcohol use, insomnia, sleep apnea, low estrogen or testosterone, and thyroid disease. The problems don’t stop there. Our obsession with sugar has also been linked to depression, anxiety, panic attacks, difficulty sleeping, and ADHD. The good news is that Alzheimer’s and the host of other illnesses are either preventable or treatable with lifestyle changes. Research has shown that a healthy lifestyle can even suppress genes that may have been inherited. In other words, you may have an increase risk of diabetes due to an inherited gene but through a healthy lifestyle that gene does not turn on. This is what researchers are calling the study of epigenetics. I hope you are seeing that diet is key to living a healthy life. Amen clinics gives us 5 brain-healthy tips to help protect our brain:
- Stop the high sugar diet— sugar as we have discussed throughout this blog increase inflammation which is at the root of disease.
- Breakfast for the brain– select a balanced breakfast one low in carbohydrates and higher in protein. I love Ezekiel bread with natural almond butter. To sweeten it up you can sprinkle Whole Earth or Stevia on it. Yummy!
- Feed your gut (the second brain)- the gut as we have learned is the first line of defense from illness. Worry, stress and poor diet increase gut permeability increasing inflammation in the body. Reducing stress, eating a balanced diet and taking a probiotic can help keep the gut healthy. Another natural supplement, bovine colostrum, has shown helpful in healing leaky-gut and increasing our immune system defense in fighting against disease. Not any colostrum supplement will do. Many bovine colostrum products are processed in such a way that destroys much of the health benefits. I uses a pharmaceutical grade bovine colostrum from Sovereign Laboratories. It has a lysosomal delivery system which preserves the healing properties and allows for better absorption. You may contact me through this blog if you would like to learn more or go to: http://www.sovereignlaboratories.com/info_LDMIRACLEFOOD.html to learn more. Because I am a medical provider, I get a discount on the bovine colostrum which allows me to pass the savings on to you.
- Protein- add healthy proteins to your diet such as salmon, nuts, spinach, eggs, and lean chicken.
- Berries- neuroscientist have found that wild blueberries protect against Alzheimer’s disease.
To take this point home further, the AARP magazine publish an article about Alzheimer’s and the link to diet. They discussed a study out of London that also found the link between diet and Alzheimer’s disease. The article listed what they called The Mind Diet. The Mind Diet consist of leafy green vegetables, berries, fish, cheese, whole grains, beans and olive oil. Red wine was also listed as only with the dinner meal. Let’s remember that wine is not a health food and actually too much will have a negative affect on the brain. Dr. Amen recommends no more that two glasses per week.
I believe another diet is of the utmost importance–The Diet of the Word of God. A healthy mind will lead to healthy lifestyle. The bible tells us to not be conformed to this world, but to be transformed by the renewing of your mind (Romans 12:2). This renewing of your mind has a healing effect on your life both physically and spiritually. In the renewing of your mind, you learn what is the good, acceptable and perfect will of God for your life. The Lord so wants you to proper and be in health (1 John 1:2). The Word of God is healing to all your flesh (Proverbs 4:22). You have a choice in life to either choose life or choose death. Unhealthy food choices lead to premature death. I say to you choose life. Health starts in the mind. You must decide to set your mind and keep it set on things above (Colossians 3:2). You have been divinely created for a purpose. As you think and speak God’s Word and promises over your life, His Words not only change your thinking but your heart. Christian meditation is engaging God and saturating your mind and heart with His healing Words. As a man thinks so is he is his heart (Proverbs 23:7). As you think and speak God’s words your heart is changed. The promises of God for those who have accepted His son, Jesus, are promises of unconditional love, protection, prosperity, healing, redemption, and forgiveness. He accepts you fully and loves you deeply. As a believer, you are filled with the Holy Spirit who empowers you to live a life full of righteousness, peace, and joy. This is the Kingdom of God that lives within you. You are not alone. He loves you and is interested in every area of your life. Bring Him all your hurts, sorrows, disappointments of any kind and allow Him to reveal to you how awesome you are. God does not make junk. Ask Him to help you live the abundant life. The abundant life is in Jesus Christ. Remember, the devil comes to steel, kill, and destroy but Jesus came so you could enjoy life and have it in abundance (to the full, till it overflows) John 10:10.
I have tried to change myself many times but I always failed. I found that as I spent time with the Lord and meditated on His Words, He changed me from the inside out. Gradually over time, I changed. His love changed me. I have learned that I am truly accepted and loved by Him so when he ask me to let go of hurts and wrong mind sets, it’s easy because I know He has my best interest in His heart. My Papa (God) loves me and knows what is best for me. He will never leave me or forsake me. He has such gifts prepared for those who love Him and listen to His voice. He never forces us to do things but leads us into all truth by His Spirit, the Holy Spirit. He really is so good. His love endures forever. Go to Him for He loves you!